Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Can anyone recommend a dry suit ?
Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1919
Posts 382

Mood: all I need is everything...

posted on 10-1-2008 at 17:14 Reply With Quote
Can anyone recommend a dry suit ?

My steamer is starting to see better days and I use a shorty most of the year anyway, so thought about investing in a dry suit.

Does anyone have any recommendations or makes/types to avoid ?

Will presume I need to budget about £220 to £250 is that reasonable ?

Thanks
Mark

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 10-1-2008 at 17:56 Reply With Quote
From my own experience, stay away from Ocean Rodeo, I found that standard sailing dry suits work just as well if not better, are a lot cheaper as well. As much as latex seals work well to begin with, neoprene has a far great life and less memory damage from stretching on and off. Search around and 200 quid should get you a suit and wooly bear to go under. personally ill be sticking to me steamer.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 10-1-2008 at 19:47 Reply With Quote
on my second typhoon Mark and they seem to be equal to the other far more expensive units. need to wear 2/3mm socks over the tops of the ankle seals to stop water blasting up as per wet suits. i only wear a pair of wicking long john and long arm thermals and am toasty...........mind you dont stay in the water for long as there is little thermal insulation from the suit when it touches .

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 10-1-2008 at 20:31 Reply With Quote
My Gul drysuit cost £200 and is still going strong two years later.
danh
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1646
Posts 206

Mood: Need new toys

posted on 11-1-2008 at 08:12 Reply With Quote
I 2nd fat shady, my gul drysuit cost £200 and is quality.

why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death?

baileyman
Pro

Member #: 1933
Posts 114

Mood: Reflective

posted on 11-1-2008 at 08:55 Reply With Quote
Agree with Shem

Just bought a "Gul Enforcer - back zip" from Watersportswarehouse.co.uk £235 including a thermal suit. You'll need to call them about this model as they only show the front zip version.

All breathable etc.

It's got neoprene neck and wrist seals and has latex ankle seals - but has a neoprene ankle cover that hooks over your foot - so put your boots over the top and no water shoot up your leg.

Here's the link to the page :- http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/shopscr1432.html />
Was hoping to use it this w/e but the winds buggred off!!

Rich

[Edited on 11-1-2008 by baileyman]

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 382

posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:37 Reply With Quote
Hi Rich / Neil / Shem

thanks for the link.

why buy 'back-zip' rather than 'front-zip' ?

also, my size doesnt quite fit large or xlarge on that link.

i am over 6'3 so only just fitting in the body, but am 35/36 on the waist and only 41/42 on the chest so to get the length I will have to go for a baggy arse and chest, will this have any effect on warmth factor or do I just wear a thicker fleece ?

as it is, I get hot very easily and I dont want to melt.

Mark

Noo Noo
Hot shot

Member #: 6532
Posts 71

Mood: I like to be wet

posted on 11-1-2008 at 12:12 Reply With Quote
Just a thought Mark and I've had no experience or even seen one. It'll break your budget too but Ocean Rodeo now do a proper surfing Dry Suit. Dont even ask me what's different. Worth a few moments research I suppose..............

Like I said I've no idea how good it is or what ever.

me - I'm the one fumbling round in the back of a small car with the engine running trying to get changed without getting the car wet, keeping doors closed and not blinding passers by.

The only kiter in the village

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Posts 1840

posted on 11-1-2008 at 12:51 Reply With Quote
i remember Phill had one made especially large for himself; at the present cannot remember his use name but it might come to me;
you could try Nigel at typhoon 01642486104
he might have a suggestion and even get one made for you. good luck

Dandine
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 2742
Posts 231

Mood: Work is for losers

posted on 11-1-2008 at 14:49 Reply With Quote
Well my Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro is faultless. It costs more i know but has not let me down. But second what everyone else say's about the gul's, they seem spot on.
nick-r
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1260
Posts 257

Mood: lazy

posted on 11-1-2008 at 18:29 Reply With Quote
i'm not sure i'd reccomend one mark.....i used mine all last winter but could never work out if i was wet due to sweating or leaking......i only ever got out of the water dry, once. on the other hand, almost everyone else seemed quite happy with their suit. i'd go with a good wetsuit nextime.

http://www.rcad.co.uk/borthsurf.html

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 382

posted on 17-11-2008 at 13:49 Reply With Quote
Well I posted this nearly a year ago and never got around to buying a dry suit but carried on with my wetsuit. But another years wear has seen it getting a lot more 'tired' now and it will not do another winter season.

Have been looking into the dry suit option again... Anyone any ideas on this model for suitability ....

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28_97_99&products_id=1631

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Posts 1840

posted on 17-11-2008 at 18:35 Reply With Quote
woww looks a great price. with latex socks fitted you will have to wear a form of boot underneath lest they get cut. my first suit had socks and they are great once you find a suitable thin shoe/boot; my current suit just has ankle seals and i wear thin 2m sock over them to stop the water shooting up the legs. having seen the Gul suits next time i will choose one of those. Nicks comment about being wet; like Col he sweats too much, cut down on the layers underneath; i only wear a pair of wicking long jons and long sleeve top even in winter and i'm toasty without sweating.

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 17-11-2008 at 20:07 Reply With Quote
yea neils right, i haven't got the layering right yet, i sweat too much, but at least i'm warm..

i'm on third season with the ocean rodeo pyro pro and it's still going strong, i have just had new seals put on, i accidently ripped the neck seal so went for a neoprene neck and latex ankle and wrists, i didn't really need the ankles etc doing but i thought while it was in for repair it'll keep going, if anything i was too hot on saturday, either that or i weeeeeeed again (must be a bladder thing.catching up with neil you know!!)

Shem you must have had a duff suit, the ocean rodeo is still our best selling drysuit at the shop, with over 200 sold in two years, the only returns we get are from people who brought the wrong sizes and are swapping for next size up or down...i mean my suit is a medium but someone put XL in the size label

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 17-11-2008 at 20:17 Reply With Quote
I wear dry suits day in day out for work in the Winter, but I think they suck for kitesurfing.

I suppose they're ok if its onshore and you stay in you depth, but don't ever try to swim in one. Drop you kite and packdown in the Winter, you'll just be like a big crisp bag going with the rip. Burst a seal or a zip, and all your body heat is gone in a flash.

Beware

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 17-11-2008 at 21:30 Reply With Quote
Hey Mark, that GUL looks the biz for the money. I'm with the Ocean Rodeo boys myself. this was because of the sizing that was available. Being that I weigh about 15 stone and am 6'3", I went for the Large tall which seems to be a perfect fit. The Pyro has latex seals all round and a front loading zip. Like Niel, I wear a fast wicking set of long johns an a similarly constructed thin fleece top as a base layer, however, if it ain't that cold or you have an epic session, you will get a tad damp.

As pointed out by Dunk, beware if you spend any amount of time in the drink, you will soon lose your core temperature but as for swimming, its a matter of technique. I have used drysuits on a number of occasions for white water safety courses which often require you to self rescue from grade 3 and 4 rapids, without any problems. You just have to ensure that you expell the majority of the air.

Anyway..I saw this Drysuit, packed with features and has to be the coolest looker on the market.

http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=306 />

I must say though that I still prefere to use a wettie for as long as is possible before I switch. for the sort of $$ you are considering spending on a drysuit, you could get a fab wetsuit. Check this out, Its suposedly the warmest wettie on the market and has wone awards 2 years on the bounce.

http://xcelwetsuits.com/surf/index.php?area=products />

Good luck buddy

[Edited on 17-11-2008 by jon d hat]

When you're close to the EDGE....Trust your INSTINCT....!

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 17-11-2008 at 21:37 Reply With Quote
I just priced up new seals for my ocean rodeo, as the seals only lasted one year, and it seems stupid having it sat there doin nothing, but Ive been quoted £90 plus carage both ways for new seals, which seems colstly when I could buy a new dry suit for a little more!!!! I totally back up dunks point of view, for me a wet suit is way better and way safer as well.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 17-11-2008 at 21:37 Reply With Quote
Ok, so the link to the wettie doesn't take you straight there. youneed to scroll allong the product screens till you get to the Infinity Hooded 6/5/4 Fullsuit

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 17-11-2008 at 21:42 Reply With Quote
Hey shem.. there is a lady called Delia Ellard the lives in Rugby who replaces seals. She replaced my neck seal in my Kayack cag ( which is identicle to the O.R seal) for £30. that was with the cost of the seal. I think Dunk knows her. If not, I'll try ang get her tel. no. of one of my mates from the local kayak club

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 382

posted on 18-11-2008 at 15:27 Reply With Quote
Well some more advice to consider. Dunk scared me a bit the other night with tales of split zips/suits and water filling them up and dragging you to the bottom, but not sure if he wasn't winding me up again or not.

That said, I am more than warm enough in my 5/3 at the moment, it just seems more cosy to be able to get in and out of a dry suit without having to put it on again wet ( sweat damp notwithstanding ).

I like the look of the NPX one and viewed the video on their site but at £450 and not available till next March, I will have to consider an alternative.

[Edited on 18-11-2008 by Loxley]

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy