Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Can anyone recommend a dry suit ?
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 18-11-2008 at 18:34 Reply With Quote
ta john, the prob is both wrist seals, both ankles and the neck need doing. which came to 90 quid, then theres carrage both waysm, so total is 110 quid. If you could get me the no tho thats be sweet. Thanks again

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 18-11-2008 at 19:19 Reply With Quote
Thats unusual Shem, I have had my kayak dry cag for 7 years and I tore the neck seal a couple of years ago. No other trouble with it. Had my Pyro for a year and no issues with it yet. Have you ever got oil or petrolium based substances on any of the seals? I know the sort of gear you have knocking about. All of my Kayak mates use these types of seals in their dry gear and none of them have ever recalled all of the seals going. What exactly was the problem? maybe you shouls speak to Ocean Rodeo about this.

Just going back to the safety issue, whilst I take on board what people have reported as their experience, and I know that Dunks zip failed on his suit. If you want to know what happens to a drysuit in the unlikely event of you slashing it or a seal giong, there is a simple experiment that you can do to put your mind at rest. Blow up a plastic bag and seal it so its abit like a baloon, get a bowl of water, submerge the bag, stick a knife in the bag, once all of the air has expelled from the bag, remove it from the water and see how much water has gone into the bag, a minimal amount i'm sure. The theory being that if your drgsuit fails, the water bressure should press the suit tight against your body and not allow too much water in.

I suppose that should your zip fail and you are body dragging, your suit would fill with water but if you expell all of the air from your suit in the first place, it should'nt want to pop like a crisp packet!

When you're close to the EDGE....Trust your INSTINCT....!

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 18-11-2008 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
Have tx'd you the number of the Drysuit repairers shem

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1919
Posts 382

Mood: all I need is everything...

posted on 19-11-2008 at 13:49 Reply With Quote
Cheers jon,

But final question.... front chest zip or back shoulder zip ?

any preferences, one better than the other etc ?

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 19-11-2008 at 21:23 Reply With Quote
My Pyro is a front loader and I find it more conveinient for ease of use, however, this was at a premium price. That wasn't the only reason I chose this suit, as I previousely mentioned, It was largely due to the fact that Ocean Rodeo make their suits in a Large Tall size. The suits also have expansion panels in the knees, shoulders and lower back.

I wouldn't wish to sound like a sales person for Ocean Rodeo so as far as I know, Neil has a back loader and Nick has a front loader with the diagonal zip so may be worth asking for other opinions as I can only speak from my own experience.

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 23-11-2008 at 11:10 Reply With Quote
front/back. had a front on my first suit and as Jon says more convenient. my current on zips from the back and i use a cleat attached to the stairs on the back of the van to open and close.
a note i had from a diver friend who has used dry suits since Adam and Eve; if using a front zip be carefull to grab and hold on to the fabric where the zip starts when opening and closing , it has been known to rip there if not careful.
i shouldnt think you will look back once you have tried one
re the filling up; once you have your seat harness on and then a vest/impact vest over the top there aint any room for the water to come in!

[Edited on 23/11/08 by mNeil]

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy