Author: Subject: Ynyslas this weekend and weather station questions
alistair
Pro

Member #: 9074
Posts 129

Mood:

posted on 9-8-2013 at 10:25 Reply With Quote
Ynyslas this weekend and weather station questions

I'm still trying to work out what conditions are good at Ynyslas and whether the weather station is sheltered in any wind directions. Looking out my window today it looks windier in Aber than the weather station reports. I'm also a bit puzzled by the windspeed graph which doesn't always seem to correspond to the numbers in wind trends - is the graph showing the gusts as it tends to appear higher? I'm hoping to get out windsurfing sometime at the weekend if I can escape the decorating! Any tips on when might be best would help.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 10-8-2013 at 06:32 Reply With Quote
Hi Alistair,
The anemometer on the weather station is a little sheltered in a NW - I do make a few adjustments to the algorithms on the website but in a NW if you look at the gust speed then that will be pretty accurate as to the wind speed on the beach. In all other directions it is pretty much spot on. Although in a NE there will usually be a fair bit more wind in the estuary than there is on the seafront and so the weather station will under-read a little if you want to windsurf in the estuary in a NE. That's just an effect of the funneling of the wind down the valley.

The graph is showing windspeed, but it is only updated every few hours (assuming we have Internet connection when it should be updated - which we haven't had since about 9pm last night!)

Hope that helps, but as always there's no better way to get time on the water than to be here on the beach. If you stay at home decorating and waiting for the perfect conditions then you'll never get out!

Al.

alistair
Pro

Posts 129

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2013 at 08:48 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

Thanks.

Even though it is now only 15-20 mins to Borth/Ynyslas I still don't want to make the trip if there is not enough wind - especially when there is lots of decorating I'm supposed to be doing!

I have been in the sea swimming every day since we got here 4 weeks ago

alistair
Pro

Posts 129

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2013 at 20:27 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

Thought I might have seen you at Ynyslas today - there was plenty of wind

It was certainly more fun than decorating!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-8-2013 at 05:01 Reply With Quote
Yep, heard that you were out with Steve and had a good time... I had meetings to attend in Aber and needed a rest day anyway as I've been training hard - so I baked loads of cakes and ate them instead!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy