Author: Subject: FON beach meet 4/5th Oct
Rabbit
Beach Bum

School of Advanced Driving Award 2003

Member #: 320
Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 30-9-2003 at 13:02 Reply With Quote
Al, I have had a look at the map, Where is the frienship pub? Just trying to get the prioritorys in order, you did say that you can camp in the sand dunes, would that include camp fires?
SinistaPenguin
Pro

Member #: 359
Posts 122

Mood: Getting less surf than my avat

posted on 30-9-2003 at 13:41 Reply With Quote
Even a couple of feet would suffice, I'm desperate to try out my new wetsuit and get my brother in law back in the water.

It might spice things up for you windsurfers too!

I caught some windsurfing on Extreme sports this morning, and man has it changed from when I last tried.

There was a guy doing a kind of 180 'ollie' and then into some wierd kind of gybe, it was awesome!

"...that's just the lemon next to the pie..."

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 30-9-2003 at 17:09 Reply With Quote
Greets from Borth

Yeah, I always have to be first...

No wind today, but good to get me bearings. And I managed to escape from Al's before getting a paintbrush shoved into my hand.

Friendship Pub? Found it in 2 nanoseconds, it's on the main seafront drag through Borth, you can't miss it. Looks nice from the outside.

Wouldn't like to comment on fires in the dunes... I guess if camping is officially banned then I'd imagine the same goes for fires, non? Besides, not sure what you'd find wood wise to burn, and I don't think the environmental people would be so chuffed. But officially - I dunno.

As for campsites: Mill House is closed, Glanlerry (GBP10.50/night inc electric hook-up) looks OK from the outside, and the others that are open all look like a cross between Maplins & Static Caravans R Us.

If you're a member of the Camping & caravanning club (or even if you're not, the farmer doesn't seem too worried) then I recommend the Certificated Site at Llwyn Farm, MR 135/638892. From A487 at Taliesin, take Dolybont Rd (W) at 30mph sign. Follow narrow lane for 2 miles, site on right. Look for small sign.

A bit of a pig to get to, 10 mins drive to Borth, the field is full of sheep poo, there's no wc, shower, or mains hook-ups...just a water tap and a chemical loo discharge place.

But the farmer is very friendly, he will charge your leisure battery, it costs only 4 pounds a night, and as for the view, check out the attached pic.

See y'all this weekend,
Andrew

Attachment: vieweb.JPG (11.66kb)
This file has been downloaded 317 times

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Rabbit
Beach Bum

Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 30-9-2003 at 19:08 Reply With Quote
Wow
Looks like I have got th wrong end of the stick about the camping thing, never mind I'm sure I'll think of some thing hopefully near the pub!
Watch out! Dont go straining your self with them paint brush things... Deadly.

Jonah
Grommet

Member #: 39
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 30-9-2003 at 20:28 Reply With Quote

Jonah
Grommet

Member #: 39
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 30-9-2003 at 20:34 Reply With Quote
just checked forcast and will be there . Won't be there till sat morn. Will be camping somewhere but won't be looking till sat evening by the looks of the forcast. Maybe someone on saturday will be able to advise. Can bring plenty of firewood if required
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 1-10-2003 at 05:28 Reply With Quote
Rabbit... As ajdesq says... you'll be able to find the friendship. Theres really only one road in Borth, and its on that, on the opposite side to the sea!! Its pretty small and blue, but not difficult to find.

Camping. You should be fine in the dunes, although it isn't officially allowed of course. You'll be fine with a fire too. There will also be tonnes of firewood along the beach.. Its what we will be using to heat our house!!!

Forecast is still looking good for the weekend, although not so good for the surfers. And of course things could change in the next couple of days.

Its pretty windy out there at the mo, with decent NE's forecast today, so ajdesq should get out on the water in the estuary today.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Angry_Apple
Pro

Can't put my finger on it Award 2003

Member #: 272
Posts 75

Mood: angry....yet content

posted on 1-10-2003 at 06:33 Reply With Quote
So,
the Surf comp is still on then? I dont know much about it but I live v. close by and I heard that the Surf Comp wasnt on due to insurance problems? Oh well,
Angry_Apple

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2003 at 11:11 Reply With Quote
I'll be arriving Saturday morning.

Booked into the Railway for Saturday night. I think the Railway is very close to the Friendship if my memory is right.

ajdesq, Looks like your going to get a couple of days in the estuary with an easterley!

Lets hope the forecast holds for the weekend.

micky skinner
Beach Bum

Member #: 379
Posts 17

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2003 at 14:51 Reply With Quote
Fully Booked? NO!!!

Hi Al,

Thanks for all that info regarding accommodation you listed, but unfortunatley I called all the caravan parks and they all said they were fully booked! I thought this was quite odd as all I asked for was 'Any accommodation for this weekend' and all I got back was 'No sorry, were fully booked!'. They didn't even enquire how many would be in my party!

I left it a day and got my girlfriend to call, and guess what, the first site had a caravan for 6 adults and a child. She phoned another and they also had room? Do the caravan park proprietors know of a certain surf comp and not want the likes of us staying at their establishments? Surely not, it must have just been a mistake!

Anyway, were booked in now and looking forward to meeting up with you guys this weekend!

See you then,

Micky

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 1-10-2003 at 19:42 Reply With Quote
Al - if the forecast stays good I'm coming on Friday. Any chance of a local weather report early on Friday AM? Judging by your posts you either get up at that time anyway...or your PC clock's knack'ed!

p.s. are there any cash machines in Borth?... or will I need to stop at the place up the road I can neither pronounce or spell

p.p.s everyone keep saying those wind prayers!

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2003 at 20:04 Reply With Quote
Hi all,Looking foward to getting to Borth friday,hoprfully intime for a sail if the winds up? The forcast does seem rather encouraging... Got my hands on an old Tiga wave today(courtesy of a good guy called Ray) as havnt made my mind up as to what newish wave board to get.
Havnt sailed since early july so cant wait & will be good to meet some new people (windsurfers).
Hey Al all this started when i said i would come up for a sail the next time it was windy,back in June/July time.... since which there hasnt been any decent wind & ive been working stupid hours to save for New van,new kit,new baby shortly arriving etc.etc..
Spence
see ya all the W/end..

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 1-10-2003 at 20:54 Reply With Quote
About to enter the diary about a great sesh today

Mickey - in my 'Sites' book many of the local campsites expressly state that no single sex groups etc will be welcome. Nice huh? Of course, we ALL wear football shirts & drink 10 pints of lager every night don't we? And as for the blokes...

Not spotted a cash machine yet, and the nearest Tescos is bloomin miles away... I'll recommend y'all come prepared

Appears to be a million statics and rooms to rent here... believe me, I don't think anyone will end up sleeping in their car if they don't book ahead.

See y'all soon!

Andrew

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 2-10-2003 at 06:16 Reply With Quote
Nick... Theres ALWAYS an early morning wind and weather update on the home page. I usually put it on there at about 6.30ish along with a 3 day forecast.

I think theres a cash machine in the Mace in Borth, and the Spar will give cashback. If not, theres a Link machine in the Spar in Bow Street, and both Aberysytwyth and Machynlleth have cash points too.

Angry.. The surf contest is off, not because of insurance reasons, but because Borth Surf Club didn't ever get around to organising it. Which is a bit silly really, as theres not really any other reason for having a surf club here unless they organise such things.

Things are still looking good for the weekend, and it looks as though there will be quite a few more people around for this one than there have been for previous FON meetings... Can't wait to meet you all.

Al.

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2003 at 07:47 Reply With Quote
Looks like there will be plenty of people around for the weekend. I hope the weather /wind picks up for you all. If not I'll have to arrange some extreme painting to keep you all busy.

There is a new cash machine at Mace in Borth (I don't think it's called Mace anymore but there's a big sign about the cash machine!) and one at the Spar in Bow Street.

Aberystwyth is about 10miles away for anything you can't get in Borth. my on;y warning is about the milk in Borth. Every shop gets their milk from the Borth Milk-lady and quite often it's gone off before you even open it so my advice is to pick some up on the way through Bow Street or from the garage at Tre-Ddol.

See you all at the weekend
Anna

PS Nice to meet you ajdesq and put a face to a 'name'

hhr02

Member #: 387
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2003 at 15:10 Reply With Quote
Sorry to be (an environmentalist) grump but officially camping and fires are not allowed in the dunes. I have no problem with camping but there have been issues with fires in the past. The dune area is a fragile ecosystem and fires spread quickly. Please be careful and put out all ashes. If you do have a fire make sure it's in a sandy patch or on the beach where you will get a lovely view of the sun setting. Hope you all have fun and there is some wind (not had any for ages...)!

Rabbit
Beach Bum

Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2003 at 17:21 Reply With Quote
Hey no worries, kinda fond of the enviroment myself but i do like to keep warm. would it be a safer bet on the beach then, after all I don't want to endanger any life form, Particulally th especies known as "terram vellis scend abacus".

Does any body know if that would be the correct term for a windsurfer?(Latin)

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 3-10-2003 at 06:12 Reply With Quote
I did think that after I posted... Fires are fine as long as you are sensible. In fact, its probably best to have your fire on top of the pebble ridge, rather than in the dunes themselves... Theres more firewood close by then as well, and you can watch the sea / sunset easier.

A part of the dunes did catch fire earlier in the year and the fire-brigade were called out to it... be sensible!!

On another note, theres no wind at the moment, but it should pick up later today and be OK for tomorrow. Although not as good as first forecast... As usual the stronger winds are now forecast for the middle of next week... Mind you, there ALWAYS seems to be strong winds forecast for about 4 days time.

We'll go to the Firendship tonight, so those that are coming along today, we'll meet you in there if we haven't already seen you on the beach...

I had a nice little kite-surf session here yesterday as well!!

Al.

raven22
Grommet

Member #: 380
Posts 8

Mood: Sick of being a novice

posted on 3-10-2003 at 20:46 Reply With Quote
Hello all!

Just thought I'd let everyone that I will definately be there tomorrow morning. I am staying in the Youth Hostel as I am on my own and it is a bit too cold to camp when you have nobody else to keep you warm. Anyway, I will be in the pub tomorrow night and you cant miss me as I have a tattoo of pisces on my right shoulder... Somebody better talk to me . Won't be surfin either as I am comin on the train
See you all there.
Emma.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 4-10-2003 at 06:05 Reply With Quote
Emma.... I'm sure someone would be willing to keep you warm... If you kept them warm in return of course.

I could probably find you an old surfboard that you could use too if you want.

Things have been good so far. Wedsnesday saw AJDESQ, Dave, Sarah and myself in the estuary with 4.5-5m sails. Thursday was an excellent kite-surf session in the estuary and then Friday
was a really good windsurf session for me, ajdesq, Nick and Steve, and a kite-surf session for me, Derek, Simon and Mike. We then met Spencer, Paul and Rabbit in the Friendship later in the evening.

its also pretyy windy here at the mo... Looks like it could be a good day. See you all in a while

Al.

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy